Release of 13 persons: Police insists women released, abducted not 'policewomen'



Nigerian Police in Borno has said that the news making rounds on the media that ten women, reported to be wives of policemen, are released by Boko Haram on Saturday is not true.

International Committee of the Red Cross, ICRC, issued a statement on Saturday that it had facilitated the release of 13 persons who were abducted by Boko Haram, including ten policewomen.

CP Damian Chukwu, the state Commissioner of Police said that contrary to what is being said, there has not even been any time the command recorded such case.

Chukwu said while briefing pressmen in Maiduguri reiterated that the ten women released by the group are not policewomen.

He explained that only one of them, a female inspector attached to CID, is a police officer based on the command's checks.

'The rest of them as a matter of fact are not policewomen and neither are they wives of policemen', the CP explained.

He wondered where such story emanated from.

The women in question appear to be those abducted last year by Boko Haram while conveying corpses along Damboa - Biu road to Chibok.

The terrorist group released a video immediately after the abduction, claiming responsibility for it.

In the video, the women were featured, pleading with the government to rescue them.

Chukwu following the video released a statement saying that the women were not of the police force nor are they wives of its men.

 

5 1 1 1 1 1 Rating 5.00 (2 Votes)
Share